CHM should be in…

Well… Long time… But finally a new post!

If You have drank Linux KoolAid, then You can run on problems when You get some CHM file. It is old format and I think it has place where it can live (like many other proprietary data formats):

Place where we should send .chm files

Place where we should send .chm files (c) Marcin Wichary

But still, You can get documentation in such format, chances are high if You are trying to interface some .Net SOAP service. In Linux – no viewer for CHM.

Or rather no standalone viewer. There is solution – CHM Reader addon for Firefox. It is not perfect (no global search), but allows to navigate through that file. Printouts to PDF usually are stripped from hyperlinks, so navigating through 800 pages is reason why PDF printout is not an option…

Thumbnails are missing when uploading new image

Just a quick note – if You are experiencing missing thumbnails in image upload in WordPress, then probably Your PHP installation misses php-gd module.

It is module by default installed on FreeBSD, but on Debian based Linux You have to add it by hand (apt-get install php5-gd).

I had to move my blogs to new, temporary host, with Linux on board instead of FreeBSD. Then I have noticed that when I want to publish new post I can only insert in it uploaded image in original size – not very handy. It took 15 minutes of googling and finally dive into wp-includes/media.php to check how these thumbnails are generated.

It’s time to say goodbye!

Well, last 6 years I was using Windows as a main OS for my home/developer computers. Partly it was not mine decision, since my employers required me to run Windows. But, since I’ve jumped out of regular 9to5 two years ago this was not true anymore. It was convenient for me to use Windows, and during first year I was developing bigger application which was meant to be run on Windows. And it was Ruby application, so it was wise to develop on Windows. Almost year ago I have finished this assignment and Windows was still on my notebook.

Last weeks finally made me to change that. As You probably know I have converted to TDD development style. Having tests covering work already done (and already squeezed bugs) is very handy, but when running even partial tests take to much time – it decreases productivity. Waiting for test to complete (to know if they are green and I can move to another task or I have introduced some other bugs ;) and need to work on code) causes my mind do wander to other topics. You know, Internet has a lot distractions to offer. I was suffering in more or less silence – my laptop is old, I thought (and it is old indeed) and changing OS won’t help much. But then I have read this blog post about some comparisons between Ruby implementations in context of performance.

Enough! I have said to myself – I was busy last months and it was hard to find some time, and jump with replacing Windows with Linux during some work with deadlines. Quick browsing through pile of old PC parts I have accumulated through last years, and tada! Old 20 GB HDD and USB20 – IDE interface made my day (or rather all-night). After some issues with not working CDROM drive I’ve managed to install Ubuntu on this drive.

Ubuntu on my desktop have arrived

Ubuntu on my desktop have arrived. Image (c) karindalziel

Boot from USB and… I was surprised how far Linux desktop have advanced with easy of use and integration since I was last time trying. Even my backup GPRS modem was recognized and Ubuntu has configuration for my GSM operator. Cool.

Then I have installed my dev environment (of course I have not used Ruby and gems from Ubuntu’s packages, I have compiled my own) and did ultimate test.

The same notebook, HDDs of comparable speed (or rather comparable in slowness :)) ) – both 5400 RPM with small cache and the same Rails project- around 300 assertions (100 in unit tests and 200 in functionals). Time of execution of rake test: Windows XP, Ruby 1.8.6.p111 – 2:49. Ubuntu, Ruby 1.8.7-p72 own compilation – 0:29.

Bye, bye Windows…

I will stay in this setup (USB drive) for some time, and when I will be sure that something small won’t be annoying problem I’ll make final switch.

UPDATE
This post was in draft mode few days and today I can say – I’ll make switch. The only issue I had it was issue with sound. At first I thought something does not work. But it turned out I’m too old fashioned. I was using command line tools to make sure volume is set as needed, and I did something wrong since – no sound for me. I had just doubleclick speaker control in Ubuntu’s taskbar to un-mute PCM and CD and get music playing – as work in home freelancer with 3 kids working sound is a must, believe me :))