Shuffling RubyGems versions

I do some Facebook work for my customer, and when I checked out current source into my dev environment, application didn’t want to work :) Basically Facebook related code did not initialized properly.

I was curious what is causing it and finally gave up (RFacebook plugin upgrade did the job), but it seemed that it is something related to RubyGems version. So I did RubyGems downgrade and upgrade several times. I did it via fetching RubyGems source and ruby setup.rb.

I’m not sure if it is FreeBSD specific, but if after RubyGems upgrade (I did upgrade from 0.9.4 to 1.1.1) You are experiencing:

/usr/local/bin/gem:23: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner (NameError)

Then just delete /usr/local/bin/gem and symlink /usr/local/bin/gem18 as /usr/local/bin/gem.